Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

Sunday night's ACM Awards will include something that hasn't happened before - a televised wedding. As Martina McBride and Pat Monahan of the rock group Train duet on "Marry Me," Christina Davidson and Frank Tucci will be saying their vows. The couple met in 2009 at a support group for young widows and widowers, and love grew from there. They were chosen by Martina to win a pretty amazing wedding package, including the high-profile ceremony.

Country stars are spending some time this week with their wardrobe assistants, getting their look just right for the red carpet and the award show. Reba, co-hosting again with Blake Shelton, says she's ready: “You know, honestly after 14 years of doing this, Terry Gordon and I are getting it down to a science and we already have our clothes ready. They’re ready! This is the first time we’ve been this prepared. It just worked out! So, we’re really tickled.”

Blake Shelton is up for Entertainer of the Year, and in typical Blake form, he's low-key about his chances: “I’m not going to sit here and be like other artists that’ll say, ‘Welllll...it’s just ya know.’ I’m pumped about it – it’s cool. I don’t know what my chances are of winning it, but I don’t hope somebody else wins it I’ll tell you that.” Taylor Swift, Brad Paisley, Jason Aldean and Kenny Chesney are Blake's competition for EOY. Fan voting is continuing, if you want to cast your ballot for your favorite.

Kenny Chesney is also up for Album of the Year for "Hemingway's Whisky." He opened up about the project, saying, “There is a big part of me that really wants to be on stage and never do a ballad ever. But, there’s also a part of me that wants to write a record like Be As You Are and Lucky Old Sun because that’s how I live a lot of my life, so I think with this album...with Hemingway’s Whiskey, I have kind of combined a little bit of those two worlds.”

Vocal Duo nominees Montgomery Gentry have been a duo for a long time, and attribute their success to that fact: “I think it’s just our chemistry we were friends before we became business partners. We grew up playing music together – horseback riding, motorcycle riding, hanging out in the bar, shooting pool – we were just buddies. I think that chemistry is what kept us together for so many years.”

Jason Aldean is breaking venue attendance records on his tour stops, and he is pretty humble about why: “I think the biggest thing right now is trying to keep ticket prices at a price that it’s not ridiculous for people to spend. I mean, a couple and their kids go to a show, they don’t want to spend $500 to go see a show. I wouldn’t go see Elvis for $500…we’re not that good, know what I mean?!” He's 18 for 18 on show sell-outs on his tour so far this year - I'd say maybe they are that good!

Taylor Swift will be honored with The Big Help Award during the Nicklodeon Awards this Saturday night. First Lady Michelle Obama will be on hand to give the award to Taylor, recognizing her for modeling philanthropic behavior to her fans and encouraging them to help in times of need. In other Taylor news, she's expected to make around half a million dollars for the two songs she wrote for "The Hunger Games" soundtrack album.

Dierks Bentley's beloved Chevy pick-up, "Big White," may have seen its last mile. Dierks tweeted a photo of the well-worn truck on the side of the road, with the message, "Man down! Big White finally hit a wall today. Lonesome." No word on whether the truck that brought him to Nashville will be repaired.

Happy birthday to Reba, who turns 57 today. Rodney Atkins is celebrating his 43rd birthday.

The tweet of the day is from Neal McCoy: "I'm so sober, I just walked into a Liquor store and shouted- Do I look like Blake Shelton to you? Where's your Bacardi?"