Thursday, March 8, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

If you watch "The Voice" on NBC then you've noticed that the coaches sometimes dig each other pretty hard. Blake Shelton says when the cameras are off, so are the gloves: “I think that’s what’s helping the show as much as anything is that we do all get along and we’re not afraid to pop off to each other on TV because we know that as soon as it’s commercial break, we’re gonna high five and laugh about it.”

Martina McBride's song, "I'm Gonna Love You Through It," was something she found and recorded before her husband John heard it. According to Martina, “I played him the demo and he said ‘that’s what I would say to you, that’s what I would want to say to you’ and I thought wow I mean, that’s what I would want to hear so it’s – it’s really at the core of it it’s just about I will stick with you no matter what. The song is obviously written specifically about cancer but it can be – really applied to anything in life.”

Justin Moore's new song, "Til My Last Day," is wife-approved. It's Kate's favorite ballad, and after seeing her reaction to it, he knew he had to record it: “It’s my wife’s favorite song on the record. We all mess up, we’re all idiots, we’re guys. But this song’s about working on it at least and putting forth the effort to try to be who it is that you know you want to be for your girlfriend, wife, etc. And uh – it’s a lot of fun to play live. It’s totally different than anything we’ve ever done.”

The 2012 Tim Pan South Songwriters Festival in Nashville is always a big dang deal, and this year, it includes Dierks Bentley and Luke Bryan as performers. The event runs March 27th through 31st at 10 different clubs around town, including the Bluebird and Douglas Corner Cafe. Yes, you can go - check out details on the Nashville Songwriters Association International website.

http://www.tinpansouth.com

On American Idol this year, when a contestant is eliminated, Scotty McCreery will sing them off the show. The season 10 winner has recorded a version of Tim McGraw's "Please Remember Me," and that will play as the eliminated contestant sees his or her AI life on the screen. Scotty says that meeting Tim was one of the highlights of his American Idol experience: “It was great picking his brain and getting the wisdom he has from over the years. It was really a special moment for me. He is really a genuine nice guy.”

Getting interviewed about going into the Country Music Hall of Fame, Garth Brooks dropped a bombshell: he almost wasn't Garth Brooks! “I got signed with Capitol Records in ’87, only to be told I was gonna have to change my name because they had a solo artist named Kix Brooks that was getting ready to launch his first record. I would spend the next six months driving through Arkansas and Kansas looking at just town names trying to figure out what my last name was gonna be. Kix’s record deal did not work out for Capitol, and so at the very last moment I got to keep my name.” Garth talked about how happy he was that Kix went on to redefine the term duet in country music.

We have to wait over a month to see it, but Trisha Yearwood's new cooking show, "Trisha's Southern Kitchen" debuts on April 13th on the Food Network.

Lauren Alaina is performing on American Idol tonight.

The tweet of the day is from Rosanne Cash: "Trying to lose a couple pounds before I go to Barcelona so I can eat my weight in tapas. Who's with me on this?"