Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

On this Valentine's Day, thought we'd take a look at how some of your favorite country artists view the holiday:

Dierks Bentley: “It’s that holiday that comes along where you have to really like stamp out on paper exactly where the relationship really stands. You don't want to undershoot it 'cause then you'll be in trouble, you know, if you don't give the right present or don't say the right things, you're gonna be in the doghouse. But then if you overstate your hand, then you're moving the relationship way faster than you actually want to."

The Band Perry on their song "All Your Life" as a Valentine: “(Kimberly) Kind of the first bonafide love song we’ve had out at country radio and I’m the spitfire in the band but Reid and Neil are the hopeless romantics so, uh they’re excited this has done so well. (Reid) We are and you know the song is actually, uh somewhat of a good luck charm for guys who want to propose while the song is being played live at a TBP show. (Kimberly) Yeah we’ve had three. (Reid) We have had three and three yeses.”

Chris Young on his Valentine role model: “I can never live up to my stepdad, because he asked my mom to marry him on Valentine’s Day, and then called us down from upstairs and asked me and my sister permission. So, pretty much anything I do, he made me look like a punk for the rest of my life on Valentine’s Day.”

Kellie Pickler on the state of her love life: “It’s so wild to sing cheatin’ songs and, you know, the heartbreak songs because I’m so happy. For the first time in my life, I’m actually -when I say I’m happy, I really am happy. I have a man that loves me. My husband is my best friend, and he’s so good to me.”

Lady Antebellum's Dave Haywood on the strain touring puts on relationships: “Making that real effort and time when we’re home to have that one on one time together and then you know you have to do your best on the road to stay in touch but know that, you know, I feel like we’re supposed to be out there touring and doing this and you know, living this life. So we’ll make the most of the time we have and be excited for the time that we do get to spend with them.”

Thompson Square: “(Shawna) I have to like force him to go to the mall to buy me something or - (Keifer) oh it’s not that bad (Shawna) give him reminders that it’s Valentine’s Day (Keifer) you don’t have to remind me it’s Valentine’s Day. I know, I just, I hate hallmark holidays. (Shawna) I was about to say that (Keifer) Hate it! I just hate that whole thing. I’d much rather do like flowers or whatever like other times when you’re not expecting it, you know.”

Kelly Clarkson has re-made her current pop hit, "Mr. Know It All," with a more acoustic vibe and with steel guitars. The country music community already accepts her, owing to her duets with Reba and Jason Aldean, so it'll be interesting to see how a solo country effort flies. Give it a listen...



There's a new compilation album out, featuring music from Trace Adkins, Justin Moore, Rodney Atkins, Hank Williams Jr., Lee Brice, Josh Thompson, John Rich and Charlie Daniels Band. "This is NRA Country Volume One" is available on the NRA Country website.

With two shiny new Grammys in hand, that's not all The Civil Wars have to celebrate. The husband/wife duo of Joy Williams and Nate Yetton have a child due in June. The two won Best Folk Album and Best Country Duo/Group Performance Sunday night at the Grammy Awards.






The tweet of the day is from Miranda Lambert: "Y'all look at my V- day gift. I have been wanting this for a year and a half! I have the best husband in the world!"