Monday, February 13, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

Lady Antebellum took home the Country Album of the Year Grammy. That award was presented by Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert. Charles Kelley says the trio was truly surprised with the win: “We did think it was gonna be Taylor’s night. She had won a couple going into it in the pre-telecast and honestly...shocked...we truly did not feel like we had a chance this year, just because last year was so life changing we were like...this year, it’s nice to be nominated and I did think Taylor was gonna take it and she would have deserved it.” Hillary Scott weighed in on the topic of the night - the loss of Whitney Houston. “There’s a hole in the heart of music now and I don’t know if it can ever be filled because she was so unique and amazing. So, we will miss her.”

Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson killed it on the Grammys last night, bringing down the house with "Don't You Wanna Stay." But that was the highlight of his night, as far as we know - he lost in all three categories where he was nominated. What does he like about award shows? “You know, I think one of the cool things about any of these shows—you know I’ve had a chance to go to the American Music Awards that kind of thing—and to me the coolest thing about that is going and getting to see other artists from different genres perform. Getting to see acts like that I really haven’t seen perform live before to me is part of the coolness about being able to go to some of that stuff.”

Taylor Swift won two Grammy awards before the show even started, and performed her winning song "Mean" during the show. She got a standing ovation, and true to form, she was shocked to see the audience on their feet. She then talked about Glen Campbell and introduced the tribute to the country legend.

One of the highlights of the Grammy Awards last night was The Band Perry and Blake Shelton teaming up on a tribute to Glen Campbell, who joined them at the end of "Rhinestone Cowboy." The Band Perry sang "Gentle on My Mind" and Blake Shelton swung into "Southern Nights."

Carrie Underwood and Tony Bennett duetted on "It Had to Be You" just before the Best New Artist Grammy was handed out. Unfortunately, The Band Perry didn't win it - Bon Iver did.

Here's the list of country winners last night:

Best Country Album
Own the Night – Lady Antebellum
Best Country Solo Performance
“Mean” – Taylor Swift
Best Country Duo/Group Performance
“Barton Hallow” – The Civil Wars
Best Country Song
“Mean” – Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)

The tweet of the day is a collection of tweets from country artists reacting to the death of Whitney Houston:

Jason Aldean (@Jason_Aldean): “Very sad to hear about the death of Whitney Houston.... What an amazing talent she was.”

The Band Perry (@thebandperry): “RIP Whitney Houston. #heartache”

Reba (@reba): “Rest in peace, Whitney.”

Sara Evans (@saraevansmusic): “What a tragedy losing Whitney Houston. One of my all time idols. So very sad for her family. I will be praying for them. :(”

Chris Young (@ChrisYoungMusic): “RIP Whitney Houston. Truly one of the best vocalists of all time/all genres. #sadday”

Billy Ray Cyrus (@billyraycyrus): “R. I. P. Whitney Houston. I will always love you and your music and talents will live on forever.”

Lady Antebellum (@ladyantebellum): “We are so heartbroken to hear of the loss of Whitney Houston. One of the best voices EVER! Praying God's comfort for her family. ~hill”

LeAnn Rimes (@leannrimes): “I can't stop crying. I have a show to do soon. Wow, I learned how to do what I do because of 3 great women, one being Whitney. She was always so kind to me. This is not gonna be an easy show for sure. I'm doing what she taught me to do by listening to her records over & over as a little girl. Her death is very surreal.”

Jay DeMarcus (@JayDeMarcus): “Whitney Houston has died!!! Oh my goodness, what a loss.... Sad.”