Monday, May 21, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits


It’s official…Tim McGraw joins Taylor Swift, Rascal Flatts, Reba, Martina McBride and a host of other up and coming country stars as part of the Big Machine record label group. Tim signed with what is arguably the most influential record label in Nashville, run by Scott Borchetta. Scott’s dad, Mike Borchetta, originally signed Tim to his deal at Curb Records, the label he parted ways with last year. About the new partnership, Tim says, “For me, it’s a new day. I have a great partner, great label, a lot of great people working around me and I’m lookin’ toward the future. I’m lookin’ toward bigger and better things than I’ve ever done and better music than I’ve ever made. It’s a new beginning to sort of a new career for me, I think.” Will there be new music? Yes – and according to Scott Borchetta, fairly soon. Tim’s energized about the new project: “The songs are incredible. I mean, I had a fantastic group of musicians in the studio, and I think I’ve had more fun than I’ve had in a long time in the studio. I just...got a lot of energy, and music has a lot of energy in it and it’s infused with all this enthusiasm. I haven’t felt this way about music in a long time.” No release date yet…I’ll let you know. Meanwhile, how did Tim introduce himself to the staff at Big Machine? He and wife Faith Hill stopped by the label headquarters and brought ice cream for everyone. Sweet! 

It’s good to be on Brad Paisley’s tour. Sure, you might be scared about the pranks, but he also does thoughtful, fun things for his tour mates, like taking them out to the movies. Over the weekend in Indianapolis, Brad coughed up for tickets and anything anyone wanted at the concession stand for a 12:30am showing of The Avengers in 3D. No, he didn’t leave the crew out – they were all invited, too. 


The CMT Music Awards will be handed out on June 6th, right in the middle of the CMA Music Festival. Toby Keith and Kristen Bell will host the awards show live from Nashville on CMT, and Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood and Zac Brown Band will be performing. With lots of young talent snapping up awards these days, Toby recently said, “Some of the younger people comin’ around goin’, you know, ‘He’s a freakin’ legend,’ you know...this and that. And it’s like, I don’t see myself as that. I see myself as...I’ve been in the league a long time, but I always felt like I filled a void.” That’s true – there’s truly only one Toby Keith!

Taylor Swift has reached out to the family of a fallen Marine. Sgt. Wade Wilson. Wilson, a native of Leona, TX, was a huge fan, and when Taylor learned of his passing, she sent his family a note of condolence and asked if they would allow her to wear his dog tags in her next video to show her respect for him and all of our service men and women. Sgt. Wilson’s best buddy posted a video – watch it knowing there’s a bad word in there, and there’s the strong possibility that you’ll need tissues. There…you’ve been warned.



George Jones is back in the hospital, undergoing tests for the upper respiratory infection that just won’t go away. According to a message on his website, the Country Music Hall of Famer was admitted yesterday for “testing and evaluation,” and that all concerts scheduled through the end of June will be rescheduled “where possible.”

The tweet of the day is from Josh Thompson: “Just realized my Christmas tree is still up.”