Sunday, May 13, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

Justin Moore had a rough weekend. Early Saturday morning, a car driven by Chicago resident Joseph Taylor crashed into the rear of Justin’s band and crew bus outside of Chicago on Interstate 57. When the 48-year-old Taylor got out of his car to assess the damage, he was hit by another car and was killed. Justin took to Twitter to express his feelings about the tragedy: “Thankful my band and crew guys are all good. They got hit by a car this morning in their bus. Prayers go out to the guy who lost his life and his family. You never know man. You have to be prepared to meet God today, cause it may be your last.”

Yesterday was Mother’s Day, and as you would suspect, country artists love their Moms. Carrie Underwood says her mom and dad have had major adjustments to make since she won American Idol, but they’re coping well: “It takes a while to get used to everything but I think they’ve definitely done a great job, and mom and I, even though we don’t see each other as much as we used to, we still talk every single day.” Taylor Swift is very focused on her own mother/daughter relationship, and wrote a special song just for her mom: “‘The Best Day’ is a song that I wrote without telling my mom. I wrote it in the summertime, and I recorded it secretly too. I had this idea that I wanted to play it for her for Christmas. So, when I got the track I synced up all these home videos from when I was a little kid to go along with the song like a music video and played it for her on Christmas Eve. She was crying her eyes out.” Miranda Lambert says the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree in her family: “My mom is a riot. She’s like, such a party animal — she loves to be on the road with me. She comes out probably like once a month. And my family is just great – they’re just, you know, they’re really cool. They get it, you know? They’re just like…they know when I need my space, but they also know when I need support. So, it’s really great to have a family like that.” Lady Antebellum’s Charles Kelly says about he and his brother Josh: “We were honestly, at times, pretty hard to handle, both of us. And my mom’s just one of those people, she’ll do anything for her family and she sacrificed a lot for us boys. Anytime we needed something, she made it happen. And so, we owe her a lot. She’s definitely the reason we’re playing music.” And Kenny Chesney has a huge appreciation for his mom: “She’s been through a lot in her life. And she’s handled it. And she’s come through it, I believe, with a lot of grace…and a lot of style. And I’ve learned a lot from that. She has taught me a lot directly and indirectly. And she’s a hard worker, but she loves life. And I thank God that I got my love of life from her.”

Did you miss Carrie Underwood on the Jimmy Kimmel Show? They did a spoof music video – check it out and get set to laugh!



We don’t know when it will be made, but we know who will play the lead role. Zooey Deschanel was hand-picked by Loretta Lynn to play her in the musical adaptation of “Coal Miner’s Daughter.” Loretta introduced Zooey at the Grand Ole Opry last week and the two sang “Coal Miner’s Daughter” together.

Willie Nelson is on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight.

The tweet of the day is from Taylor Swift: “Celebrating this Mother’s Day, reflecting back on past matching velvet holiday ensembles.”