Friday, September 30, 2011

Today's Country Tidbits

The NFL is going pink during October for breast cancer awareness month, and Martina McBride is kicking things off by performing the National Anthem before the Baltimore Ravens - New York Jets game on Sunday. Watch for lots of pink on the players, the field and on Martina.

Now we know what's up with Steel Magnolia's Joshua Scott Jones. The duo had to cancel last week's shows, and Megan Linsey, the other half of Steel Magnolia and Josh's fiance, resumed their tour over the weekend with solo concerts. Joshua posted on the band's website, “God has been on my heart to announce and make public that I have entered a rehabilitation and treatment facility to address issues related to alcohol and substance abuse. Hundreds of thousands of people in the world struggle with these battles daily, therefore I am sincerely grateful for all thoughts and prayers at this very poignant juncture in my life and career. I would also like to thank my family, friends, record label and management team for being so supportive and having an active hand in my recovery process.”

Dierks Bentley was on the Jimmy Fallon show last night, performing Pink Floyd's classic song, "Wish You Were Here." He was excited to be part of the project, saying “Country music’s 90-percent of what I listen to, and always really have since I’ve been about 17 years old, but, I mean, Pink Floyd’s, ya know, one of the biggest rock bands of all time. When you hear that Pearl Jam’s going to do it. A buddy of mine plays guitar for Pearl Jam. A buddy of mine plays for Foo Fighters. Those are bands I really think are great. To be on the same, ya know, same show and part of the same deal they’re all doing was kind of a no-brainer.” Missed it? Here you go...


Congratulations to Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers, who won the International Bluegrass Music Association's Entertainer of the Year award last night in Nashville. During his acceptance speech, Steve said, “I want to thank all the other nominees ... for losing." The award is given to the entertainer who does the best job of taking bluegrass to a wider audience. After the show, Steve said to reporters, “It really means a lot, sort of like winning two Oscars. It’s something we work very hard at and I kind of started from scratch. I mean I’ve been playing banjo for 50 years, but performing in a band I’ve never done. I’ve done it for about two years ... You know, the hardest part was talking and tuning.”

LeAnn Rimes was on the Ellen DeGeneres Show yesterday, talking about eating disorders, affairs and her new cd.


Tim McGraw's next movie, "Dirty Girl," comes out October 7th. He plays the estranged dad of a girl who's trying to find him. According to Tim, "I'm only in a small part in the movie, but it's a pretty pivotal part ... It's about a girl's journey to find her dad ... It's something that's dear to me, and something I related to."

Taylor Swift has some perfume coming out. Check out the commercial for "Wonderstruck."


Are you a fan of college football? Then you need Colt Ford's "Tailgate: College Football Versions, Vol. II" Colt drops college and university names into his game-day song, "Tailgate."

Lady Antebellum is the musical guest on Saturday Night Live tomorrow night and CBS Sunday Morning. Martina McBride sings the National Anthem before the Jets/Ravens game on NBC Sunday. Scotty McCreery is on the Today show Monday morning.

Happy birthday to Marty Stuart, who turns 53 today, and Eddie Montgomery, who is 48. Will he party? What do you think? “You know, shoot, anywhere me and ‘T’ try to show up, we try to make it a party. So, you know, cause it’s…that’s what it’s all about man is livin’ life.”

The tweet of the day is from Blake Shelton: "I'm so hung over right now I just spent 10 minutes trying to turn down the volume on my coffee maker..."