Thursday, September 22, 2011

Today's Country Tidbits

For all of his career, it's been Tim McGraw and the Dancehall Doctors. Now, it looks like they may have parted ways. A message from Tim on his Facebook page reads, “As some of you might know, there have been some recent changes in my band. Change can be hard, and it’s not something you come to lightly. I couldn’t be more proud of the music we’ve created together over the years, and I’ll treasure the memories. I know you will join me in wishing everyone only the best in their future endeavors. Thanks for all the unwavering support you’ve shown me over the years, and I can’t wait to continue our journey … See you all soon!” Tim's website still shows his Dancehall Doctors' photos and bios, so not sure what's up, but I'll keep you posted.

Alan Jackson played a street party in Nashville last night and killed it. Eric Church was also part of the fun as the two performed the annual Capitol Records Street Party. It's a free appreciation event for the city of Nashville. Eric's been trying to stay pretty close to home, as he and wife Katherine are expecting their first child any day. According to Eric, “We’ve been trying to get him used to the bus, even though we’ve not had him yet. Katherine’s been riding the bus a lot, getting used to the shaking and movin’ so. It’s funny now, he’s a bit of a kicker and puncher. He’s fine if she’s movin’. If she stops movin’, he’s kickin’ and punchin’, which is ironic because I punch a lot on stage. So, we’ll see what happens with that in a few years.”

Keith Urban is excited about the CMA Awards. No, not because he might win Male Vocalist of the Year or Entertainer of the Year, but because he gets to strap on a guitar. “I look forward to being able to play on award shows. That is the absolute that matters most to me is getting to play, ‘cause the other stuff is – I don’t know about the other stuff – I know about playing and that’s the only thing I know about.” He's got about six weeks more to wait, as awards night is November 9th.

Got a Wii game console? Then you probably want to check out Country Dance 2, which is due out this holiday season. More than 30 of the hottest country songs will be part of it, including Brad Paisley's “Old Alabama,” Dierks Bentley's “Sideways,” Jason Aldean's “My Kinda Party,” Keith Urban's “Better Life” and Luke Bryan's “Country Girl (Shake It For Me.)”

Just in time for stuffing the stocking of the Taylor Swift fan in your life, she'll release a "Speak Now World Tour - Live" cd/dvd set on November 21st.

Are you a huge Jamey Johnson fan? If so, break out the plastic or checkbook and get set to pony up $125 this Sunday. "This Ride...In Color, and in Pictures" is a photo book by Melinda J.P. Harlan, featuring stories, quotes and observations from some of Jamey's closest friends and idols. The book is a rare peek into the life of the man who says, "My dream already came true...all I ever wanted was to get to just ride around and sing country music." A portion of the proceeds will be donated to five charities: The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum's Hatch Show Print, Darryl Worley Cancer Treatment Center, Southeastern Beefmaster Breeders Assoc. College Scholarship Fund, Alabama School of the Deaf and Blind's Music Education Program and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. There will only be 2,500 copies of the book released on the 25th, and each one is signed and numbered.

Jake Owen's "Barefoot Blue Jean Night" has just been certified platinum for over a million in sales.

And from the "no surprise there" department, Lady Antebellum's new cd, "Own the Night," is not just the top-selling country cd, it's also #1 on the Billboard 200, with sales of 347,000 in the past week.

The tweet of the day is from Jewel: "I drove! To town! By myself! The baby is with a sitter! My first time away! Ok, its just to get my teeth cleaned, but still- kinda crazy -ha"