Thursday, January 6, 2011

Today's Country Tidbits

Congratulations to Taylor Swift, who won Favorite Country Artist at the People's Choice Awards last night. Even better, though, was what happened when Taylor was awarding the Favorite Male Actor trophy to Johnny Depp. He stepped up to the mic, turned to Taylor and said, "My daughter said if I didn't say hi to you I'd be in trouble, so hi from my daughter." Johnny's daughter Lily-Rose is 11, and apparently a huge Taylor Swift fan.

More kudos to Taylor, as she had the third-best-selling album of 2010. Country did well at the cash registers, with Lady Antebellum having the second-best-seller. Here's the top 5 list:
1) Eminem, Recovery – 3.42 million, released in June
2) Lady Antebellum, Need You Now – 3.09 million, released in January
3) Taylor Swift, Speak Now – 2.96 million, released in October
4) Justin Bieber, My World – 2.32 million, released in March
5) Susan Boyle, The Gift – 1.85, released in November

Little Big Town is very sought-after as college bowl game National Anthem singers. Monday night they sang it prior to the Discover Orange Bowl and tomorrow night, they'll sing it before the AT&T Cotton Bowl, airing on FOX.

Nicole Kidman is featured in the February edition of Harper's Bazaar, interviewed by none other than Jennifer Aniston. Talking about first meeting Keith Urban, Nicole tells Jenifer, “I remember thinking, "Oh, my God, if you ever gave me a man like that, I promise I would be completely devoted for the rest of my life.” Prayer answered!

Get well wishes to George Jones, who was admitted to the hospital yesterday in Nashville for heart-related issues. The doctors decided to adjust the dosage of one of his medications and he's expected to go home today.


Tim McGraw will be on E! tonight, visiting the Chelsea Lately show.

Happy birthday to the legendary Earl Scruggs. He is 86 today.

The tweet of the day is from Terri Clark: "Getting my hairs done. Love it when my country roots show, but not if they are gray..."