Thursday, April 19, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

The legendary Dick Clark passed away yesterday in Los Angeles, apparently of a heart attack. Though best known for his work in the world of pop music, America's Teenager liked all kinds of music and appreciated it for what it adds to our lives: “I mean, music is truly the soundtrack of our lives. No matter what your age, what vintage you are...whatever’s music’s going on scores what’s happening every single day of your life.” Country artists took to Twitter to offer their thoughts, and Reba remembers working with him on the ACM Awards: “One time Dick Clark said, ‘Alright, Keith Urban...they can’t find his guitar. Get out there and stretch!’ And I went [mumbles]...And I got out there and went [mumbles]. Finally, here comes Dick and he’s standing right beside me and I said, ‘Dick, I tried! I just couldn’t think of nothing to say!’ It was a real cute moment. One that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.” Carrie Underwood is saddened by the loss of the legend, saying “What an amazing life he led and what an impact that he had on entertainment, on the television world. I did get to work on projects that he was a part of and you just never, ever, ever, ever, ever heard anything negative said about that man, and he is certainly somebody that made his mark and will certainly be missed.”

One leaves and one arrives - congratulations to Joe and Heather Nichols, who are the parents of a baby girl. Born Tuesday, Dylan River Nichols is doing fine, and daddy Joe says, “We have been trying to have a baby together for many years, and this gift is not something we take for granted.” Joe and Heather have been married since 2007.

Jake Owen didn't have a ring when he proposed to girlfriend Lacey Buchanan last week, but he made up for it - he went to Atlanta to work with a designer, and this is what they came up with - 2.5 carats of everlasting sparkle...


In case you're wondering, Taylor Swift isn't dating Harry Styles of the band One Direction, nor is she dating football phenom Tim Tebow. She's hard at work on her next album, according to pictures she's posted on Twitter this week.

Dierks Bentley's new song, "5-1-5-0," is a fan favorite on tour, and Dierks understands the song's appeal: “I don’t think it’s a gonna-change-the-world type of song lyrically, but I think it’s definitely gonna help some people drink some cold beer this summer and after ‘Home,’ it’s kind of a nice change of pace and I think it’ll be a fun song to have out on the road.”

Congrats to Carrie Underwood, whose "Good Girl" is gold already.

The tweet of the day is from Blake Shelton: “So proud I had the chance to shake hands with Dick Clark in my lifetime... Great man..”