Monday, January 16, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

Last night, Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman were two of the prettiest people at the Golden Globes Awards, where Nicole was a presenter. And he could be up for one himself next year, because he's co-written a song for the movie, "Act of Valor." Will we see Keith on the big screen any time soon? “I was actually in a theater group when I was a kid for about three years. We did quite a few stage productions, which was really my starting board for learning how to perform on stage. So, I’d love to do some of that down the track. I wouldn’t want it to interfere with my music.” So, maybe that's a "maybe, someday."

Tim McGraw has been a country star for two decades, and as he gets set to start his next 20 years with a new record label, he's reflecting on what's made his success possible. Is it his voice? His tenacity? His good looks? Nope - Tim says, “I’m very fortunate. I’ve been able to be around great people, great songwriters...great artists. I just...I’ve been able to put myself in a position to be surrounded by great people who have helped me guide my career in the direction I’ve always wanted it to go. That’s the beauty in anybody having a great career. It’s the people that are around you.”

Jake Owen is rough and tough, and ready to try anything. Which he did Friday, trying his hand at snow boarding in Colorado. He was doing great - right up to the point that he wiped out and broke his collar bone. He tweeted, after his visit to the hospital in Crested Butte, "Guess I charged this mountain a little too hard." It's not his first broken collar bone - he did it as a kid when he crashed a four-wheeler.

Hillary Scott has been named one of Cosmopolitan Magazine's "Fun Fearless Females" in the February issue, on newsstands now.

Make it three in a row for Jamey Johnson - he won his annual bet with Matthew McConaughey. The two wager $500 to the winner's favorite charity over the BCS Championship game. Jamey predicted Alabama would win, Matthew took LSU and Bama shut the Tigers out. Jamey donated his winnings to Gamblers Anonymous.

Congrats to Eric Church on "Drink in My Hand," the #1 country song in America this week.

Happy birthday to Ronnie Milsap, who is 69 today, Jim Stafford, who turns 68 and James Young of the Eli Young Band, who is 32.

The tweet of the day is from Jaron and the Long Road to Love, as he was watching the Golden Globes last night: "Is Jane Fonda recycled? How is she that hot?" If you want more where that came from, check out Jaron's Facebook page or Twitter feed. He was on a roll last night!