Thursday, January 12, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

At the Peoples Choice Awards last night, Taylor Swift racked up some more hardware, winning Favorite Country Artist. She was the only country artist to win anything this year.

There's a hot little rumor about a couple of other country artists - Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert singing "America the Beautiful" before Super Bowl 46. Kelly Clarkson is featured in the same rumor as the National Anthem singer. No official word has been released, but how fun will that be? The Super Bowl happens February 5th in Indianapolis.

Rascal Flatts tour fires up tonight in Charleston, West Virginia and they're fired up to share their new song, "Banjo," live from the stage. According to Joe Don Rooney, "It’s gonna be a great live song. I think everybody by the first chorus will get it, they’ll be singing along to it and it’s just, um...just fun stuff.” Sara Evans and Hunter Hayes are along for the Thaw Out 2012 Tour.

Miranda Lambert's On Fire Tour kicks off tonight, too, with Chris Young along for the ride. He's become good friends with Miranda and Blake Shelton over the past year, and is psyched about the opening slot: “It’s an amazing feeling, especially with her. I’ve got a good relationship — this year especially, I ended up hangin’ out with her and Blake a lot on the road and love…love both of them as people and as artists. So, the fact that, you know, she asked me and my band to go out with her and be a part of that tour is big, and it’s somethin’ I’m overwhelmingly looking forward to. It’s gonna be a blast.”

Congratulations to Jo Dee Messina and her hubby Chris Deffenbaugh on the birth of their second son, Jonah, Christopher Deffenbaugh. He was born yesterday, and Jo Dee said in a statement that everyone is fine and “God has blessed us so much.”

Scotty McCreery has decided to go to college in the fall. He says it might take him 50 years to graduate, but he's committed to getting an education. “I’m hoping to go right out of high school into college like a normal kid, you know? Hopefully, like, Belmont so I can study music while I’m doing this career, so I can learn more. I need to learn...I’m young, so I’ve got a lot to learn.” Other Belmont alumni include Brad Paisley, Trisha Yearwood, and Josh Turner.

Happy birthday to William Lee Golden of the Oak Ridge Boys, who is 73 today.

The tweet of the day is from Justin Moore: "On the bus bout to leave Nashville. Next stop, TOLEDO! First night of "well lit and amplified" tour with Blake shelton! Hello 2012!"