Thursday, January 5, 2012

Today's Country Tidbits

Keith Urban has been enjoying the holidays with his girls, not talking much and writing songs since his surgery for vocal polyps in late November. But he's finally got some gigs on his calendar, starting February 10th. He'll do a benefit concert at the Austin City Limits Moody Theatre, then play the San Antonio Rodeo and Stock Show the following night.

Taylor Swift has been offered the role of Eponine in the film adaptation of "Les Miserables," No word on whether The Golden One has accepted the role, but she does like to act: “I’ve had a blast acting in the things that I’ve gotten to do. Like, Valentine’s Day was so much fun. Oh, and I also got to be in CSI, which I’m, like, obsessed with. So, that was really fun.” Confirmed cast members include Huge Jackman, Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter.

Asked about the race for the White House that's heating up, Toby Keith, the singer of the current party-tune, "Red Solo Cup," gives a sober assessment of what's needed: “Do the most research you can. Get as much knowledge as you can and vote accordingly. It’s important that we get more business people running this place than lawyers or politicians. It’s in desperate need of a quality business mind running this place.”

Reba has been hand-picked by Oprah Winfrey to appear on the next season of Oprah's Master Class. Oprah chooses people who have had an impact on the world in a positive way, and Reba explains her philosophy like this: “You know, maturity brings confidence, and also not having to impress everybody. All my life, I wanted momma and daddy to be proud of me. I wanted to make everybody proud and not disappoint anybody. And, you get to a point in your life where like, you know, how about yourself? Are you happy? Just be happy, and go on and do what makes you happy.” Season two of Oprah's Master Class begins Sunday night at 10 Eastern on OWN.

Miranda Lambert has written a song she hopes will land on the soundtrack of the upcoming "Hunger Games" movie. But her goal for herself is more discipline in 2012: “You know, what I’m gonna try to do more is write by myself because it’s easier to just call a writer and be like, ‘Help me with this song!’ [Laughs] So I’m gonna try to keep writing by myself.”

Congratulations to Lady Antebellum, whose "Own the Night" cd is #1 on the Billboard Country chart and #4 on the all-genre Billboard Top 200. How do they feel about their success in the pop world? According to Charles Kelley, talking about their latest album, “It’s just brought such a newer, larger audience, you know? And, I just think you know, at the end of the day, I mean, it’s all just music. I mean, if you like it, come on and listen to it. We’re not big fans of splittin’ these things up into genres anyway. As you know, I mean, I think there’s a lot of great music out there, and if you like it, you know, give it a shot.”

The tweet of the day is from Danny Gokey: "Every moment you get is a gift. Spend it on things that matter. Don’t spend it by dwelling on unhappy things."