Monday, December 19, 2011

Today's Country Tidbits

The countdown to the big day is on, and maybe you're having a little problem figuring out what to give your special someone this year. Check out what some country artists' fondest Christmas gift memories are:
Dave Haywood of Lady Antebellum: “My favorite Christmas gift was probably my very first guitar from my grandpa about 15 years ago. More recently, I got a red Gibson about five or six years ago. That red one we use on stage was given to me from my dad for Christmas years ago. It was on our first album cover too.”
Gary and Jay of Rascal Flatts: “[Jay] Oh, it had to be the Death Star, the Star Wars Death Star, when I was a kid. ‘Cause it was huge, you know, and it had so many pieces to it, and it was like three-stories tall, you know? I mean, it was really cool. [Gary] When I was a toddler that crank up Evel Knievel... [Jay] Oh, it was great! That’s my answer, I want to switch mine!”
For a country music lover, Chris Young has some ideas: “The first Alan Jackson Christmas record. That record and the Beach Boys Christmas album, if I hear that, that means Christmas, as far as music goes. That was the two CDs or two tapes that were like, ‘Oh it’s Christmas time,’ ‘cause that’s what my mom would play in the car everywhere. I know both of those CDs front to back.”

Saturday night on Saturday Night Live, Michael Buble was the musical guest, and one of the skits had him doing duets with various artists. Taylor Swift and Scotty McCreery were spoofed...check out the video:


Lady Antebellum wrapped up their tour last night in West Virginia.

David Nail had a rough day Saturday - he thought he tore his ACL while bowling. Later on, he tweeted that maybe it's not torn, but just very sore. Guess he'll probably be headed for a doctor today.

Darius Rucker has been collecting songs for his third country cd, and about it he says, "I'm going to try to make the best record I've made yet ... With this record, I want country music to say, 'Hey, he can stay.'" He's planning to release a new single in February, but doesn't yet know if it will be a track from "Charleston, SC 1966" or a cut from the new project.

With success comes...dirt? It does for Brantley Gilbert, who just bought about 11.5 acres of land near Maysville, GA. “You know, I wanted that piece of land for a long time, and to get it was a real sense of accomplishment, you know? I really felt like I’d done something.”

Happy birthday to Little Jimmy Dickens, who turns 91 today.

The tweet of the day is from Thompson Square: "Use what talents you have; the woods would have little music if no birds sang their song except those who sang best."