Thursday, March 17, 2011

Today's Country Tidbits

On this St. Patrick's Day, how do the artists celebrate? Billy Currington was in Savannah, GA on Tuesday, a town that goes big for St. Pats, and Billy was shopping for a new green shirt to wear for tonight's concert with Kenny Chesney. According to Billy, “There was green everywhere. I went to grab me a green shirt or whatever. And I couldn’t find anything that I liked better than the same green shirt I have been wearing for about ten years. It still don’t beat that one original, first shirt I ever got. You know?” He'll look great no matter what he wears on stage tonight, and there are lots of women who probably won't be wearing green, in the hopes he'll pinch them!

Kenny Chesney's "Goin' Coastal" tour kicks off in West Palm Beach tonight, and he's excited about the show fans will see. “It’s gettin’ really exciting for me and the band. And Zac’s guys are so great. I mean, they are really a great band, and to be able to collaborate like this together that way…we’ve never done this in our show in 17 years I’ve been on the road. We’ve never done this. And it’s a lot of fun, you know, and we’ve done it a little bit, but we’ve never made it a part of our show. And to be able to do this for the fans and to be able to have them experience it, you know, it’s just gonna be—I think I speak for everybody that I think it’s gonna be a really special night of music, you know, especially with what they’re doin’, too.” The tour includes 52 dates through the US and Canada this spring and summer.

Blake Shelton will be profiled in Parade magazine, and they asked him about his bachelor party: “I think me and my buddies are going to take a camping trip somewhere. Maybe try to find something to go hunt. Turkey or bears or something like that. Something country. The last ten years of my life has been a bachelor party, so I don’t need an extra one night to add to my life. I’ve had plenty of that stuff.” And the honeymoon? “I tell you what: when you are getting married to Miranda Lambert, you’re going to make time for whatever she wants. So that’s also a no-brainer. She’ll have the wedding and the time with me she wants, whether I like it or not.” I'm thinking he'll like it, aren't you?

Remember the rock group Styx? You'd never expect to see them at the Grand Ole Opry, but frontman Tommy Shaw will be there on March 26th, making his debut as a solo bluegrass picker. Carrie Underwood, Lorrie Morgan and Pam Tillis are also on the bill for that Saturday show. Tickets are still available.

Congratulations to Sara Evans, who has the top-selling country album in America this week with "Stronger." It's her first new music in six years. Look for a profile on her in the next issue of People magazine.

Congratulations to Eric Church on gold certification for "Love Your Love the Most."

Happy birthday to Paul Overstreet, who turns 56 today. He's written hit songs for Kenny Chesney, Randy Travis and had his own hits back in the day.

The tweet of the day is from Danny Gokey: "If women ruled the world there would be no wars. Just a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other. ;)"